400 Oxford St, London W1A 1AB
Selfridges Department Store: A Tourist's Guide
Located in the heart of London, Selfridges is one of the world's most iconic department stores. Founded in 1909 by American entrepreneur Harry Gordon Selfridge, the store quickly established itself as a leader in the retail industry, known for its innovative and glamorous shopping experiences. Today, Selfridges continues to be a must-visit destination for tourists and locals alike, offering a vast array of luxury goods and world-class dining options.
Visitors to Selfridges will be impressed by its stunning Edwardian architecture, which is a mix of classical and Art Deco styles. The store is housed in a vast building with a distinctive dome-shaped roof, which can be seen from across the city. As soon as you enter the store, you'll be greeted by a beautiful and spacious lobby, complete with chandeliers and grand staircases.
Once inside, you'll have the opportunity to explore an incredible selection of luxury goods, including designer fashion, beauty products, and home goods. With over 350,000 square feet of retail space, Selfridges is home to an impressive lineup of over 400 brands, including names such as Chanel, Prada, Gucci, and Yves Saint Laurent. In addition to high-end fashion, you'll also find a vast array of beauty products, including makeup, skincare, and fragrance.
One of the highlights of Selfridges is the Food Hall, located on the lower ground floor. This spacious and bright area is home to a vast array of gourmet food, including fresh produce, baked goods, and specialty items from around the world. You'll also find a number of dining options, ranging from casual cafes to fine dining restaurants.
In addition to shopping, Selfridges also offers a number of other exciting experiences, including a luxury spa, an in-store cinema, and a series of exhibitions and events throughout the year. These events range from fashion shows to product launches and are a great way to get a unique and immersive shopping experience.
Finally, if you're looking for a souvenir to take home, make sure to visit the Selfridges Gift Shop, located on the lower ground floor. This beautifully designed store is the perfect place to pick up a memento of your trip to London, with a wide range of products including books, homeware, and gifts.
In conclusion, Selfridges is a must-visit destination for any tourist looking to experience the very best in luxury shopping and dining. With its stunning architecture, vast selection of luxury goods, and exciting events and experiences, Selfridges is truly a world-class department store that should not be missed.
Selfridges is a world-renowned department store located in the heart of London, on Oxford Street. It has been an iconic landmark for over a century, and it's a must-visit for any tourist visiting the city. But once you've explored the store and shopped until you drop, what else is there to do nearby? Here are some places and things to do near Selfridges from a tourist perspective.
1. Hyde Park - Just a few minutes' walk from Selfridges, Hyde Park is one of the most famous parks in London. It's a massive green oasis in the middle of the city, with plenty of walking paths, gardens, and lakes. You can also rent a bike or a boat, and there are often events and concerts taking place in the park.
2. The Wallace Collection - Just a short walk from Selfridges, the Wallace Collection is a hidden gem of a museum. The collection is housed in an elegant Georgian townhouse and features an impressive array of art and decorative objects, including paintings, furniture, porcelain, and armor.
3. Mayfair - Located just a stone's throw from Selfridges, Mayfair is one of London's most luxurious neighborhoods. It's home to high-end boutiques, art galleries, and Michelin-starred restaurants. Take a stroll down Bond Street or visit one of the many galleries in the area.
4. The British Museum - While it's a bit further away from Selfridges, the British Museum is definitely worth a visit if you're in London. It's one of the largest and most comprehensive museums in the world, with a collection that spans over two million years of human history.
5. The West End - If you're looking for some entertainment, the West End is just a short tube ride away from Selfridges. It's home to some of the most famous theaters in the world, including the Royal Opera House, the National Theatre, and the West End musicals.
6. The London Eye - Just a short distance from Selfridges, the London Eye is a must-visit attraction for any tourist in London. The giant Ferris wheel offers stunning views of the city, and you can even book a private capsule with champagne and canapes.
7. Covent Garden - Located a few minutes' walk from the London Eye, Covent Garden is a bustling shopping and entertainment district. It's home to street performers, boutique shops, and a famous covered market. Grab a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants in the area, or catch a show at the Royal Opera House.
In conclusion, Selfridges is a great starting point for exploring all that London has to offer. Whether you're looking for culture, shopping, entertainment, or just a relaxing stroll through the park, there's plenty to see and do in the area. So, plan your visit to Selfridges and get ready to explore one of the most vibrant and exciting cities in the world!
|10 am–9 pm
|11:30 am–6 pm
|10 am–10 pm
|10 am–10 pm
|10 am–10 pm
|10 am–10 pm
|10 am–10 pm
You may also like
Discover the hidden gem of Brown Hart Gardens in London, England. This rooftop garden oasis offers stunning plant life, a central water feature, and panoramic views of the city skyline. Relax and unwind in this peaceful and serene atmosphere, just a short walk away from prime shopping and dining destinations. Don't miss out on this must-see attraction for any tourist visiting London.
The Lamb & Flag pub in Oxford is a historic establishment that offers tourists a traditional English pub experience. With a rich history dating back to the 17th century, this cozy and welcoming venue serves a wide range of drinks and delicious traditional English fare. Whether you're looking for a quick pint or a leisurely meal, the Lamb & Flag is a must-visit destination for anyone looking to experience the true essence of English pub culture.
Discover the beauty and rich history of the Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral in London. Immerse yourself in its stunning Byzantine-style architecture, witness daily liturgies in Ukrainian, and indulge in authentic Ukrainian cuisine at the on-site restaurant. Don't miss out on this unique and unforgettable cultural and spiritual experience. Visit the Cathedral of the Holy Family in Exile today.
Looking for a classic British pub experience during your visit to Skipton, North Yorkshire? Look no further than the Devonshire Arms Pub. With a warm, welcoming atmosphere, locally-sourced food and drink, and a prime location near Skipton Castle and the Yorkshire Dales National Park, it's the perfect spot to relax and soak up the local culture.
Discover the hidden gem of the Wallace Collection Museum in London, England. Explore a vast and diverse collection of art and antiques, including works by Frans Hals, Rembrandt, and Gainsborough. Marvel at the stunning Long Gallery and remarkable collection of arms and armor. Experience a cultural and social hub, with regular events, exhibitions, and talks. Visit the Wallace Collection today and immerse yourself in the heart of London's rich cultural heritage.
Grosvenor Square Park in London is a must-visit destination for any tourist looking to experience the best of the city's cultural and natural offerings. With its rich history, beautiful scenery, and convenient location, this park is the perfect place to spend a relaxing and enjoyable day in the heart of Mayfair. From historical landmarks to recreational facilities, Grosvenor Square Park has something for everyone. Explore the lush greenery, serene atmosphere, and numerous walking paths, or take in the sights and sounds of nearby cultural attractions. Don't miss out on this iconic London park.
Discover the Annunciation Marble Arch Church in London, a stunning Gothic Revival church located near Marble Arch. Admire its intricate carvings, beautiful stained glass windows, and ornate altar, attend Mass or enjoy a music concert. Learn about its association with J.R.R. Tolkien, and explore the rich cultural heritage of the area. Don't miss out on this must-visit destination for any tourist visiting London.
Looking for a unique historical landmark to visit during your trip to London? Look no further than Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park. Witness free speech in action and engage in lively discussions with locals and visitors from around the world. Learn about the history of this iconic site, where famous figures such as Karl Marx and Vladimir Lenin have spoken in the past. Keep in mind that Speakers' Corner can get crowded, so plan your visit accordingly. A visit to Speakers' Corner is a must-do activity for any tourist interested in politics, social issues, or simply looking for a one-of-a-kind experience in London.
Discover Sadie Coles HQ Art Gallery in London, England - a hub for creativity showcasing innovative works by emerging and established artists. Explore challenging and thought-provoking exhibitions featuring sculpture, painting, video, and installation. Don't miss the opportunity to engage with artists through talks and events. Visit now for an unforgettable experience in London's cultural scene.